It is happening again! On September 30th, international translation day, we’re inviting everyone who wants to help translate WordPress, themes, and plugins into their own language, to join us for a 24-hour global translation sprint!
What are we doing?
For everyone who’s new to the Translation Day events, here’s a summary of what we do during one:
- Local translation contributor days – on site events in different cities around the world (last time we had more than 60, let’s beat that!)
- Remote support for as many languages as possible to help contributors who would like to join from their home
- 24 hours of live streaming sessions dedicated to different topics around WordPress localization and internationalization (L10n and i18n).
Who are the sessions for?
- Everyone who would like to learn how to translate WordPress in their language
- New and experienced translation editors – the sessions will have useful tips and advice how to build and maintain a strong translation team
- Developers who would like to find translators for their projects – the sessions will teach you how to work with the polyglots team and how to build a translation community around your products
- Developers who would like to learn how to prepare their plugins and themes for localization
- Everyone who would like to learn how translations work in WordPress and get a general idea of the work of the Polyglots team.
When is it happening?
Please see all relevant details on our event website.
Why are we doing it?
- To have fun and get to know each other better.
- To encourage more translation contributors to get involved and expand the WordPress Polyglots team
- To educate existing translation contributors and project translation editors to reduce the amount of waiting strings.
- To improve the general understanding of how WordPress deals with translations among the development community
- To create strong connections between the plugin and theme authors and the WordPress translation community
- To educate translation editors to use the existing tools to improve the experience.
How can you join?
- Translate – Just join us on September 30th in your own timezone and translate WordPress or your favorite plugins and themes to your language at http://translate.wordpress.org and perhaps even see your translation go live on your own WordPress site.
- Watch live sessions at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/gwtd3/
- Organize a local event – put your name down for organizing an event
in the “Local events” tab on the GWTD3 org spreadsheetand fill in your local events details in the form on wptranslationday.org
- Organize a remote event – put your name down for organizing a remote event in the “Remote events” tab on the GWTD3 org spreadsheet
- Join the organizing team of Global WordPress Translation Day – simply join the special slack channel!
- Speak – Become a speaker during Global WordPress Translation Day – suggest a topic by filling this short survey
Looking forward to contributing with you. Happy translating!
Global Polyglots team mentor
Lead for communication – Global WordPress Translation Day organizing team
P.S Important links:
- Organizer spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/M9Vszp
- CrowdCast event: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/gwtd3/
- WPTranslationDay official website: https://wptranslationday.org/
- Call for Speaker poll: https://wptranslationday.org/call-for-speaker/
- Call for local events: https://wptranslationday.org/add-local-events/
- [Guide] Organize a local event on Global WordPress Translation Day
- Events Slack Channel: #polyglots-events
- WP Polyglots Twitter: https://twitter.com/translatewp
- Follow #wptranslationday
Want to read more about previous Translation Days, watch videos and learn how they were organized? Here are a few links: